Summary of Anthony Robbins book Money: Master the Game – 7 Simple Steps to Financial Freedom
The latest book by Anthony Robbins Money: Master the Game – 7 Simple Steps to Financial Freedom, as the title promises, suggests that in 7 simple steps you can reach your financial freedom and become an investor as opposed to a consumer i.e. you won’t be trading your time for money but your money machine will work for you whether you’re working or not. Anthony Robbins (who is a great advocate of speed reading and photoreading) stresses that you should follow all those seven steps in sequence. For regular readers, this 689-page book might be a daunting task. Hence, my summary here to get you started. If you’re already a speed reader or even better a spd rdr, then you know that reading summaries has been validated as the best (and legitimate) way of getting information quickly and effectively. Anthony Robbins provides a seven step checklist for success at the end of the book which in a way summaries the book. Here it is but if you want a summary of the summary – read my final comments at the end of this blog.
7 SIMPLE STEPS: YOUR CHECKLIST FOR SUCCESS
STEP 1: Make the Most Important Financial Decision of Your Life
1. Did you make the decision to become an investor, not just a consumer?
2. Have you committed a specific percentage of savings that always goes toward your Freedom Fund?
3. Have you automated it? If not, do it now: www.tdameritrade.com or www.schwab.com.
4. If the amount you’re committing now is small, have you committed to your employer to use the Save More Tomorrow program? See http://befi.allianzgi.com/en/Topics/Pages/save-more-tomorrow.aspx
STEP 2: Become the Insider: Know the Rules Before You Get in the Game
1. Do you know the 9 Myths, and are you now protected? Here’s a mini- test:
a. What percentage of mutual funds beat the market (or their benchmark) over any ten years?
b. Do fees matter, and what’s the average mutual fund fee?
c. If you pay 1% versus 3% in fees, how much of a difference does it make to your final nest egg?
d. Have you taken your broker for a test drive? Have you gone online and seen what your current costs are, how much risk you have in your current investments, and how your current investment strategy has compared over the last 15 years with other simple, inexpensive options?
e. Do you know the difference between advertised returns and what you actually earn?
f. Do you know the difference between a broker and a fiduciary?
g. Are target- date funds your best option?
h. How do you maximize your 401(k), and should you elect to use a Roth 401(k)?
i. Do you have to take huge risks to make big rewards? What are some of the tools that will allow you to get the upside of the market without the downside losses?
j. Have you identified any of the limiting stories or emotions that have held you back or sabotaged you in the past, and have you broken their pattern of control in your life?
2. Do you have a fiduciary now representing and guiding you? If not, go online and find one at http://findanadvisor.napfa.org/home.aspx or go to Stronghold and review its services approach (www.Stronghold Financial.com).
3. If you own a company, or you’re an employee with a 401(k) plan, have you taken 30 seconds to check how your fees compare with the rest of the market? Go to http://americasbest401k.com/401k- fee- checker.
4. If you’re a business owner, have you met your legal requirement to benchmark your 401(k) against other comparable plans? Remember, the Department of Labor has reported that 75% of the 401(k)s it audited resulted in an average penalty of $600,000 (www.americasbest401k.com).
“I have seen Paul Scheele help countless numbers of people to discover a faster, more efficient path to success through his PhotoReading system. No matter what you need to read, he can teach you to get it done in a third of the time.”
Anthony Robbins, Author of Awaken the Giant Within and Unlimited Power
STEP 3: Make the Game Winnable
1. Have you made the game winnable?
a. Have you found out what your real numbers are? Have you figured out what it’s really going to take for you to achieve financial security, vitality, and independence? Have you calculated it?
b. If not, go back and do that right now. Or if you want to revisit them, go back and do the numbers now or go to your app, where you can keep the numbers in your pocket, and it will be calculated in a few minutes. You can do it in just a few minutes.
c. Remember, clarity is power. See www.tonyrobbins.com/masterthe game.
2. Once you’ve got the numbers, did you use your wealth calculator and come up with a plan that shows you how many years it will take in a conservative, moderate, or an aggressive plan to achieve financial security or independence? If not, give yourself the gift. Go to the app and do this now.
3. Have you looked over and made any decisions about the five elements of how you can speed up your plan and achieve financial security or independence even faster?
a. Save more:
• Have you looked at the places you could save? Your mortgage? Daily purchases?
• Have you implemented a Save More Tomorrow plan so that you don’t have to give up anything today, but when you get additional income in the future, you’ll save more? Go to http://befi.allianzgi .com/en/befi- tv/pages/save- more- tomorrow.aspx.
• Have you found something that you could cut down easily in order to increase your savings? Is it the $40 pizza? Is it the water bottle? Is it Starbucks? And have you calculated how much more money you’ll have in your Freedom Fund and how much faster you can achieve your goals by doing this? Remember, $40 a week can equal $500,000 over an investment lifetime. You don’t have to do any of these if you’re already on target, but these are options if you’re not yet on target to achieve your financial goals.
b. Earn more.
Have you found ways to increase the value you can add to others? Do you need to retool yourself and switch to a different industry? What are the ways you can add more value and grow more so you can give more?
c. Save in fees and taxes.
Have you come up with a way to apply what we’ve taught you to reduce your fees and/or reduce your taxes?
d. Get better returns.
Have you found a way to invest with greater returns without undue risk? Have you reviewed any of the portfolios that are here that might enhance your earnings and protect you from those gut- wrenching downturns in the market?
e. Change your life— and improve your lifestyle.
Have you considered a new location with an even better lifestyle? Have you considered putting yourself in a place where you reduce or eliminate state taxes and then put all of that money toward building wealth and your family’s financial security and freedom?
STEP 4: Make the Most Important Investment Decision of Your Life
1. Have you decided on asset allocation so that you never put yourself in a position to lose too much? (Not all your eggs are in one basket, right?)
2. Have you decided what percentage belongs in your Security Bucket and what specific types of investment you’ll use to be safe and still maximize returns? Are you diversifying with different types of investments within the Security Bucket? Have you decided what percentage of your savings or investment capital will go in the Security Bucket?
3. Have you decided what percentage belongs in your Risk/Growth Bucket and what specific types of investments you’ll use to maximize returns yet still limit your downside as best as possible? Are you diversified with your Risk/Growth Bucket?
4. Have you evaluated your actual risk tolerance effectively? Did you take the test developed by Rutgers (http://njaes.rutgers.edu/money /riskquiz)?
5. Have you considered your stage of life and whether you should be more or less aggressive based on the length of time you have to save and invest? (If you’re young, you can lose a bit more because you have more time to recover; if you’re closer to retirement, you have less time to recover, and perhaps you need more in your Security Bucket.)
6. Have you evaluated the amount and size of your cash flow and whether that will play a role in your level of conservativeness or aggressiveness in your asset allocation?
7. Have you resolved the ratio of Security versus Risk/Growth as a percentage of your overall investments? 50/50? 60/40? 70/30? 30/70? 40/60? 80/20?
8. Have you come up with a list of short- term and long- term goals for your Dream Bucket that excite you? Do you have to wait until someday in the future, or do you have some things you’re going to make happen right away?
9. Have you established a way to fund your Dream Bucket with either a small amount of savings or a portion of the profits of windfalls from successes in your Risk/Growth Bucket?
10. Rebalancing and dollar- cost averaging:
a. Are you consistently committing the same amount of money to investments regardless of whether the market is moving up or down? Remember, timing the market never works.
b. Are you continually rebalancing your portfolio, or do you have a fiduciary doing this for you? Either way, this is crucial to optimizing returns and minimizing volatility.
STEP 5: Create a Lifetime Income Plan
1. The power of All Seasons:
a. Have you taken the time to read, understand, and take action on the powerful insights that Ray Dalio gave us with his All Seasons approach? He has brought successful investment returns 85% of the time and lost money only four times in 30 years, but never more than 3.93% to date!
b. Have you gone to Stronghold and taken five minutes to see what kind of returns you’re getting on your current investments compared with All Seasons (and other portfolios) or to see what it would take to set up an All Seasons portfolio in minutes?
2. Income Insurance:
a. Have you done the most important thing of all? Have you made sure that you will not run out of income as long as you live? Have you established a guaranteed lifetime income plan?
b. Do you know the difference between an immediate annuity and a deferred annuity, and have you selected which might be right for you depending on your stage in life?
c. Have you reviewed and initiated a hybrid annuity or tapped into the upside- without- the- downside strategy that’s now available to anyone regardless of age and without any lump- sum payment whatsoever?
d. Have you gone online and found out how much future income you could have for as little as $300 a month or more? If not, go to www.lifetimeincome.com or call an annuity specialist at Stronghold.
3. Secrets of the Ultrawealthy:
a. Have you investigated how to drastically cut the amount of time it will take you to achieve financial freedom by 30% to 50% through the use of tax- efficient life insurance strategies? Remember, PPLI (private placement life insurance) is great for high net worth, but anyone can use the policies offered through TIAA- CREF with minimal deposit amounts. If you haven’t yet explored these tools, reach out to a qualified, expert fiduciary today or contact Stronghold for a free analysis.
b. Have you invested the $250 to set up a living trust so that your family is protected and your assets will go to them without going through a year of probate? Have you protected your wealth not only for your current generation but also your grandchildren and your great grandchildren?
STEP 6: Invest Like the .001%
1. Have you taken the time to absorb some of the short interviews with 12 of the smartest financial people on earth, the greatest investors in history?
2. Who is the “Master of the Universe” in the financial world? What kind of returns has he gotten compared with anyone else, including Warren Buffett, and how could you invest with him if you wanted to?
3. What did you learn about asset allocation from Yale’s David Swensen? Or J.P. Morgan’s Mary Callahan Erdoes?
4. What did you learn from the indexing master Jack Bogle? Or from Dr. Doom, Marc Faber?
5. Did you capture the simple strategy that Warren Buffett now recommends for everyone, including his wife and her legacy trust?
6. Did you absorb the importance of how to get asymmetric returns?
7. Did you absorb the $100,000 MBA that Paul Tudor Jones gave you by never making an investment of less than five to one and always tapping into the power of the trend?
8. Did you check out Ray Dalio’s How the Economic Machine Works— In Thirty Minutes video? If not, watch it now at www.economicprinciples.org.
9. Did you soak in the concepts of Kyle Bass’s solution on investing where you cannot lose money? Remember the power of nickels? Where investments are guaranteed forever by the US government, and you’ll have a potential upside of anywhere from 20% to 30%?
10. Did you take in the core lessons from Charles Schwab, and Sir John Templeton’s gift that continues to give of being able to know that the worst environment is your greatest opportunity— to be most optimistic when the world is “ending” like it did in World War II, like it did in inflation in South America, like it did in the Depression, like it did in Japan after World War II? Did you absorb his true core strategic philosophy that made him the first international investment billionaire in history?
11. What actions can you take today to start investing like the .001%?
STEP 7: Just Do It, Enjoy It, and Share It!
1. Your Hidden Asset:
a. Have you connected to the truth that the future is a magnificent place?
b. It will be filled with exciting challenges. Opportunities and problems are always there, but are you clear that there is a wave of technology that is going to continue to innovate and empower us as individuals and enhance the quality of life for human beings all over the earth?
2. Have you given yourself the ultimate gift— the commitment to be wealthy now, not someday in the future— by appreciating and developing the daily habit of priming your appreciation of what you already have and building on that success?
3. Would you trade expectation for appreciation? And have you committed to a life of progress? Progress equals happiness. Life is about growing and giving.
4. Have you figured out what you’re here to serve and what the higher purpose is for your life? Have you begun to think about your legacy?
5. Have you decided to convert your pocket change into massive change in the world? If so, go to www.swipeout.com now, take one minute, and start the process of saving lives while you enjoy your own.
6. Are you embodying the truth that makes you wealthy in this moment: the secret to living is giving?
Watch three FREE videos: Tony Robbins talking about your money machine and how to become financially independent
Once you’ve purchased the ebook, you can email the Amazon receipt to Anthony Robbins (email@example.com) and you’ll get access to three videos where he talks about the first two steps of the money machine / Freedom Fund process.
The first chapter of Money: Master the Game – 7 Simple Steps to Financial Freedom
If you want to read the first chapter of Money: Master the Game, here it is: pdf of the first chapter of Money: Master the Game – 7 Simple Steps to Financial Freedom.
Feeding 100 Million People
The money from the book goes to Anthony Robbins charitable project Feeding 100 Million People. There is a chapter (7.3) on giving and generosity, what he calls “The Final Secret.” Studies suggest that generosity brings happiness and satisfaction for the giver and Winston Churchill summarised it: “We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.”
To sum up
Money: Master the Game – 7 Simple Steps to Financial Freedom is a very good investment for £5.99. It’s a bit long, and focused on the US market (so if you’re looking for advice on ISAs or FTSE, look somewhere else – a quick search revealed no entries for those terms) but it gives a very good overview of the key areas of your finances which you need to look at and do something about (remember, knowledge is not power, execution is), in order to become financially independent. Anthony Robbins also offer helpful investing tips that most people who invest have known for years now: that fees eat away most investment profits and that over 90% of professional stock pickers under-perform the broad markets and on another level that true happiness correlates more strongly with giving away one’s wealth than accumulating it. Anthony Robbins reminds us how to become financially independent with this simple formula: earn more, spend less and automate the investing process. So, if financial freedom is important to you and your family another reminder from Lao Tzu (who wrote a little wise book called Tao Te Ching, which is the second most ‘sold’/read book after the Bible): “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” or if you’re a Steve Jobs fan: “Think big, start small.” (which Jobs actually did by starting Apple in his little garage). Buying this inexpensive ebook (on Amazon Kindle) can be another small and wise step towards your financial independence and freedom – which I highly recommend.
Related book: Wealth secrets of the 1% by Sam Wilkin talks about how to get rich based on history of business and how it works from Marcus Crassus, the richest man in Ancient Rome to the 19th-century ‘robber barons’ in America ie Cornelius Vanderbilt, John D Rockefeller, JP Morgan, Andrew Carngie and so. In sum, start a business. Own a business. Become a monopoly, because competition will hurt your business and profits. Aim to be big, so you benefit from economic of scale. Own different businesses that help each other. Not exactly secretes or rocket science but it takes determination, persistence and patience to do it.